Monday, October 6, 2008

An Artsy Weekend and Tumbling Tots

Our new city has an annual international arts and music festival called the Lotus Festival, and it occurred over this past weekend. B was on-call all weekend and had a lot going on at the hospital, though he was able to come home for a little bit on Saturday. I decided to take the kiddo to a free event during the festival called Lotus in the Park, since we didn't have any other plans. It was located near downtown, and there were several tents set up in the park with different things happening all at once and art set out everywhere. There was an arts pavilion for the kids, where V and I made a fish kite together. We grabbed some amazing cookies at a tent ran by the people of Bloomingfoods, our local co-op market and one of the sponsors of the festival. Then, we stood outside a third tent and listened to some awesome West African drum music, while some of the performers led a huge audience in some traditional dancing. V spent the whole time in his stroller, and we couldn't really see the people dancing because of the crowd around the tent, but that didn't matter at all. The music was just fantastic, and I couldn't help moving to the beat! After a while, I took V on a walking tour of downtown, where other festival events were being set up for the evening. Down one of the side streets, there was a great arts village set up with sculptures and costumes made by the local university's arts department. I can't quite describe what we saw, but I took pictures, so you can see what a great time we had.

V working on his fish kite


West African drums and dancing


One of the many masks around the park


The sculptures in the arts village






Another great mask in the arts village


V's finished fish kite


I really had fun at the festival, and I hope to maybe go to some of the evening concerts next year because I think V would really enjoy all of the cool music from around the world. While walking around downtown, we heard a band warming up for their later performance. I didn't know their nationality, but I really enjoyed what I heard.

Today, V and I met up with our play group at the local gymnastics school for an open gym for toddlers. It was great fun, and V really enjoyed playing on the mats, on the gym equipment, in the foam pit, and especially on the trampoline! There's a rule where only one child can be on the trampoline at a time, and amazingly, V did an excellent job waiting for his turn to go. He can't really jump yet, though I thought I saw a brief bounce at one point. He mostly spent his time running back and forth on the trampoline, which looked like a lot of fun. Another rule is that parents aren't allowed on the equipment, which is too bad. I really would have loved to jump into the huge foam pit with V or jump around on the trampoline! There were so many learning opportunities there, and V had a hard time leaving the place once the open gym was over. I'm pretty sure we're going to go back again, soon.

V in the foam pit


V on the trampoline


V stacking cones


V sliding down a mat into the foam pit


And, even though it doesn't have anything to do with either the Lotus Festival or Tumble Tots, I just have to share the following picture. I think it speaks for itself. Happy Monday, everyone!



Best,
Amanda

No comments: