Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gen Con, Day 1

Just a quick post to say I survived the first day of Gen Con and had an absolute blast! I didn't quite make it to the Indianapolis Convention Center in time to be one of the first people in the exhibit hall, but I was able to get to the Paizo Publishing booth to buy a copy of The Dead Gentlemen's movie "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". They premiered the movie at Gen Con two years ago to standing-room-only crowds, but it just went on sale at Gen Con today because it's taken them a while to find the right distribution company for the film. For anyone who likes to play games, it has a lot of inside jokes, and for anyone who doesn't know anything about RPGs, it's a wonderful introduction to the gaming world. By the time I picked up my copy of the movie and got in one of the increasingly long lines, I noticed that the DVDs were quite literally flying off the shelves. In fact, the five guys in front of me and the guy directly behind me in line were all there just to buy the movie! After buying it, we all had the privilege to stand in line again and get the cover signed by many of the cast and crew members. B and I personally know a couple of the members, so it was like meeting old friends again. In fact, that's how my whole morning went! I kept running into friends who I usually only see at these conventions. I made it to the Art Show area, where sci-fi and fantasy artists show off their talent, and I met up with my friend Steve Prescott. He was one of the dads in our play group back in Ohio, and it was only after I had joined the group that I had discovered his artistic talents, which can be found in most of my husband's Dungeons and Dragons guide books and supplements. We caught up on what's been happening in our lives since B and I moved before I went back into the main area of the exhibit hall to seek out the rest of my "must-haves", which included the final element for my costume for tomorrow! Hurrah! I grabbed lunch at Circle Center Mall, which is attached to the Convention Center via many skywalks, and I managed to run into one of our college friends and gaming buddies. I was so glad I ran into him because neither of us had any major plans for the rest of the day at the convention. We went back to the exhibit hall and demoed a few games and just checked out what everyone had to offer. We ended up having dinner together and watched some anime before parting ways. I got home around 8:30 pm, called my mom to check on V (who is having a great time with his grandparents, cousins, and aunt and uncles), and I've spent the rest of the evening watching the Olympics and surfing the Internet. It's been a great day, and I'm really looking forward to more fun, tomorrow! I'll try to start a list of some of my favorite games from the convention, later. Oh, and here are a few pictures from the convention. I didn't take many today, mostly because I was too busy playing games and meeting people!

A giant 20-sided die welcomes everyone to the exhibit hall, in honor of Gary Gygax, the "Father of Dungeons and Dragons", who died earlier this year.


The Dead Gentlemen signing autographs: Steve Wolbrecht, Matt Vancil, Don Early, and Nathan Rice.


The banner of Fantasy Flight Games, one of the many gaming companies selling their newest games at the convention.


Look! Belly dancers in the hallway!


Now, it's time for bed. I'll try to get some pics of my costume tomorrow as well as those of the many other people wacky enough to dress up! I saw a lot of pirates today, but I think my favorite was the pirate walking with his friend, the ninja! Classic!
See ya, tomorrow!
Amanda

No comments: