Thursday, July 3, 2008

Your Weekly Dose Of Geekiness....

In order to keep this blog from becoming a total downer, which I've found is happening quite rapidly, I would like to include random posts here and there of just pure Internet silliness. One of my favorite comic writers, Aaron Williams, author of Nodwick and Full Frontal Nerdity, does this at the end of every one of his bi-weekly online journal entries. His computer is his livelihood, so he's able to do this. I, on the other hand, can't search the interweebs for the silliest, wackiest, weirdest, and just plain geekiest sites every single day. However, I will link to whichever sites he and others like him think are fun to experience. So, without further ado, I give you the first ever "Amanda's Weekly Dose Of Geekiness":

Find out where the hell Matt is and watch him dance through all seven of Earth's continents. I want to be Matt when I grow up and travel all over the world and, hopefully, meet so many amazing people. I probably won't take pictures of myself dancing when I do it, however. I don't think people would find it so amusing if I did.

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned one of my teenage crushes of TV and film, Wil Wheaton. Apparently, one of my other childhood TV idols, Neil Patrick Harris, will soon be appearing in an Internet mini-series entitled Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It also stars Nathan Fillion of "Firefly" fame and is a project of Joss Whedon, who created "Firefly" among other things. Here is the FAQ for the mini-series, which will be premiering on July 15. Looks like a blast!

No "blog post of geeking out" would be complete without a mash-up of Star Trek and Monty Python.

One of my other favorite web-comics is xkcd. It's fun with language, math, computers, romance, and lots of geeky stuff using stick figures! What's not to love?

In the "WTF!" category, we have The Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show. Click on "Episodes" to see some amazingly weird stuff. I love it because I don't know whether to laugh at or be embarrassed for Kiko's unwitting guests.

And, finally, I would be remiss if I did not include a link to my very good friends' website Dead Gentlemen Productions. The DG are an independent film company based out of Seattle, Washington, and L.A., and they're well known in the gamer community for their hit cult film "The Gamers". A few years ago, they screened the sequel, "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising", to standing-room-only audiences at Gen Con Indy. It's been screened at other conventions since then, and because they signed a distribution deal recently with Anthem Pictures, it will be released on DVD at Gen Con Indy, this August. They have a link up on their website for an installment from their "Demon Hunters Orientation Video", which is sold alongside the new role-playing game based on one of their first films "Demon Hunters". Go take a gander at their website and check out the trailer to "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". In full disclosure, my husband and I have been good friends with one of the company's founders/directors/editors/other jobs/all-around-nice-guys for a few years. (Hi, Ben! If you're reading this, we miss you!) They're a great group of people to get to know, and we feel that the films and other media they produce are just fantastic. Please, support your fellow independent artists as much as possible. The more money and support they receive, the more enriching creative experiences they can produce for you and the rest of the world to enjoy. End of soapbox.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you enjoyed the ride. Look for more doses of utter geekiness coming your way in posts to come.
Best to you all,
Amanda,

No comments: